Photo by Brett Jordan on Unsplash
3 min read
So I had started this blog back in November (I actually joined in August) with the intent of building up to some sort of following/content creation. I wrote an article series and a couple of other random things and then everything sort of died down. Well, there's a good reason for that: life happened.
You see, I have two kids, 8 and 5, and a full-time job. I have other responsibilities as well, but here's what my day looks like on a regular basis:
- 6:45 AM: wake up and get the kids up for school
- 7:00 AM: make breakfast, coffee, get lunches ready, try to unload the dishwasher, get the kids ready for school (my wife does this last part)
- 7:45 AM: drive the kids to school
- Thankfully since January they've been going to the same school. What was a 1.25-hour commute is now down to ~45 minutes
- 9:00 AM: get to work
- 11:30 AM: lunch
- 12:00 PM: stand-up
- 12:30 PM: back to work
- 4:30 PM: break for a bit to exercise
- 5:30 PM: kids are home, homework, start prepping dinner
- 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM: dinner (this fluctuates between these hours depending on how late exercise happened, spending time actually talking to my wife, etc.)
- 8:30 PM - 9:00 PM: get the kids ready for bed
- 9:30 PM: dishes, work for a bit longer
- 10:30 PM - 11:30 PM: shower and bed
As a note, I tend to not have too many meetings on a daily basis, which is a change from my last job. There are some odd days when I do have to have ad hoc calls with team members, or where there's a grooming session or sprint planning/review, but those aren't every day.
The thing is, this is a normal day. By no means am I complaining because there are myriad things for which I'm very fortunate. The point of mentioning this, as I write this by "candlelight" in the wee hours of Saturday morning, is that I have no clue how some content creators have the time to create content to the extent that they have. I would love ❤️ to be able to blog, come up with witty tweets, create YouTube tutorials, and all of that other good stuff. But the thing is, what I really enjoy doing is building actual websites.
And therein lies the point of this post. I've managed to take some spare time, what little I have, to build a site and start recording some content for YouTube, and I'm planning on trying to do more in the coming weeks and months. I'll share a little more about the actual plans soon, because otherwise this would end up being a novel, but I have a few things that I'm going to be touching on in the very near future. Check back in the next few days for the first update.